Astrology ~ what it is and what it is not:
A great deal of nonsense, born of misconception, is spoken about astrology these days. Essentially it has been grossly misunderstood and misrepresented over the years, so let us now put all that right.
Today, many people believe it’s simply mindless ‘fortune telling’, or ‘prediction’, or just those simple ‘Star Signs’ you see in the newspapers, magazines or websites. Indeed, I can totally understand everyone’s skepticism after seeing all those things!
However, beyond all that, the real and true astrology goes so much deeper - into the very soul or psyche of each human being. An astrological Birth Chart is more a ‘fingerprint of the Soul’ – astrological psychology if you like. It can reveal to us something about our patterns of thinking and how we might be able to cope, or not, the things that life throws at us.
Astrology can suggest the nature of our feelings ~ which are often significantly different, one from another ~ and how we might interact with the world on very deep inner levels. Our reactions to things can affect the way our physical lives unfold of course, especially if our thoughts, feelings or actions are blocked, damaged or unrealized in any way. So how much better to know these things before we blunder through, trying to make sense of it all.
The effects of these inner, and very identifiable, mechanisms can have major implications for our bodies, our lives, our relationships and our life journeys in general. So doesn’t it benefit us ~ and all those around us who interact with us on a regular basis ~ to know the unique inner individual we are? If we know what separates us from everyone else, making us totally unique in a world of other totally unique individuals, then we have far more chance of positively dealing with our own life issues, as well as the life issues of everyone else too.
The fake astrologers, the spinners of ‘prediction’ and ‘fortune tellers’, the flimsy ‘Sun Signs you see in the local paper, on TV or throughout the Internet, are not what real astrology is all about. Therefore, it is surely time to define astrology. The following is what astrology is, and what it is not…
What astrology is.
All that exists is ENERGY. The Earth, the Sun, the Sky, the Sea - even our inner thoughts and actions are made-up of living vibrant energy. Then as time moves on, so too does this vast pattern of universal energy move and change. Mankind has always recognized the special relationship between these vast energy patterns in the heavens and the events that mark human activity on Earth. Indeed, individuals have always sought to examine and classify these unique happenings, in a real attempt to gain understanding and purpose to their whole existence. Out of this quest for knowledge an ancient yet profound language of thought was seeded and took root. This language is known to us today as ‘Astrology’.
Perhaps no other topic is more maligned, misinterpreted or less understood than the subject of astrology. Yet true astrology has as much (if not more) relevance for us today than it had for our forefathers in days gone by. Elevated reason dictates that we are all products of the same universal language, regardless of race, creed, color or religion. If we could only demonstrate this in a clear and concise way, on each level of our being, then perhaps a true harmony among us all would be possible.
Evolution towards a clearer understanding of ourselves, and our relationship to everything about us, is perhaps the main purpose of our lives. True astrology is a solid foundation upon which we can build a reasonable degree of self-awareness. However each individual must discover these truths for themselves and in your own way. If everyone were to seek these truths earnestly, and with an open mind, then they will not be disappointed. Either astrology is utter superstition, as we are regularly told by those who have most likely never studied it, or else it is a uniquely wise and timeless system of thought that can bring much personal insight and inspiration to our lives. Certainly such a system, if proven, would clearly have a profound effect on the quality, purpose and meaning on our lives and ways of being. We just have to approach it from a balanced, informed and open-minded viewpoint.
Clarifying astrology further:
Now we have suggested what astrology ‘is’ we should also clarify what it ‘is not’.
True astrology is so very misunderstood by the public today and so many misconceptions prevail. These misconceptions have not been helped by countless ‘crackpots’, ‘attention-seekers’, ‘cultists’, ‘money-grabbers’, ‘charlatans’, ‘superstition mongers’ and ‘ignorant critics’ who have bedeviled Astrology’s existence for some considerable time. Its time to put the record straight...
1) Astrology is a profound, age-old system of self-knowledge and wisdom. It predates all known person-centered sciences and is as valuable today as it ever was. It can help introduce an individual to their True Self, as well as that True Self’s relationship with the whole of Earth-based existence.
2) Astrology is not fortunetelling or prediction. Instead it is a lens through which a view of a changing life landscape may be observed and interpreted. It is in essence a broad map of an individual’s life journey - identifying the ‘cycles’, ‘patterns’ and ‘potentials’ that can aid or hinder us as we move forward in life. It can show us the inner assets of capability we might move forward with, while at the same time identifying elements of our nature that might hold us back.
3) Astrology is not a ‘religion’, ‘faith’ or unquestioning ‘belief system’. It does not require the observer to suspend their critical faculties or accept any part of its philosophy without question. Indeed, it needs to be actively worked with and question with a constructive, unbiased and reasonable mind for its personal value to be fully revealed and confirmed.
4) Astrology is not a ‘psychic’ or ‘mediumistic’ artform that requires ‘otherworldly’ contacts for its wisdom to be revealed. Instead, the understandings of astrology have been derived from countless centuries of patient, scientific observation by critically thinking individuals who have identified and confirmed a unique relationship between events and psychological states on earth with the cyclical movements of definable energies in the heavens.
(Note: It is true to say however that, after many years of objective study and personal research, practitioners do sometimes tend to allow their subconscious instincts to guide them by way of certain ‘hunches’ that can emerge and appear almost ‘intuitive’. However, this is no different from detectives, psychologists or scientists who often work from a speculative ‘hunch’ and then build on it with their accumulative knowledge. At the same time, instinctive or intuitive speculations should only be seriously considered after that particular practitioner has many years of proven learning under their belt!)
5) The astrologer is not a ‘priest’, ‘guru’ or ‘master of arcane knowledge’. Neither will they ever have a flawless or all-seeing view of people or their lives. Instead, they should be seen more as a counseling partner, mentor or informed sounding board – who might enable an individual’s own realization of themselves or their life situations. An astrologer should never interfere with, condemn or in any way obstruct the inherent free will of an individual to choose their own life path. Equally an astrologer’s personal ego should never get in the way of a individual’s process of independence or self-realization.
6) Astrology is a system by which we may see our True Self more clearly. It is also a means by which an individual can appreciate - perhaps for the first time - that there is purpose, order and reason to our existence or the life events that affect us.
7) Astrology can more immediately describe the inner world of our personal experience with significant accuracy and a constructive and responsible application of its knowledge will help us better understand ourselves, others around us and the cyclical & unpredictable life events that can repeatedly afflict us throughout our lives.
The importance of astrology to parents:
When a child is born, especially a first child, it is often a panic to know what to do. Nothing that is read, heard or told can prepare a parent for that moment! Of course, there are countless books, videos, friends, family and helpers that can help pave the way for all the washing, bathing, diaper changing and crying that comes with having a child around. But all this is about the ‘outside’ of the child, never the ‘inside’. We must never forget that even a new born baby has an ‘inside’ too. It is a perfectly formed personality, starting to learn what it is to be in a physical body in a material world. Deep, deep down though they are just as individual and as independent as we all are. They simply cannot express it, and we cannot guess it. This is where a serious astrological analysis can help reveal what that inner personality is ~ and perhaps what the purpose of the spiritual self has in entering this particular lifetime with its parents.
Responsible astrological reports, like the ones we provide, are never about the outer child a parent sees before them. Instead, they define the deeper, inner soul that is here with a mission and a purpose. Undoubtedly there is still a great amount of natural skepticism about all this with some. However, if a parent can at least keep an open mind, they will ultimately see the value of what astrology is and work with it in a positive way for their child.
Astrology touches on issues and realities that none of the child experts ever touch on at that early age. No one, not even a fine astrologer, can ever know precisely what life will throw at and individual as they travel the path of their personal life journey. However, if astrology can at least help us know ourselves on the inside better, and our children, then surely the life road map that astrology provides us will better enable us to arrive at our destination with eyes fully open.